Five Ways of Getting a Break/Buss in the Dancehall Business.
There are a lot of dancehall artists who have been doing music for years and are still wondering where/when their big break would come.
The fact is, some of these artists are doing some very good music, but in the dancehall industry only some types of music gets played. And this is what I will be addressing in this article.
In 2012-2013 Reggae music started its revial after a very long time on the back burner. This revial started with the help of artists such as Chronixx, Kabaka Pyramid, Keznandi, Jah9 and Jesse Royal just to name a few. What most upcoming artiste don't know is that once you are doing good positive reggae music you don't have to get a number one hit single for people across the world to start listening to your music, but this is not so with dancehall music.
I will be listing five things you must do as a dancehall artiste to get a break in this very competitive market. These have been tested and worked for a number of artists over and over again.
1. Do a dance song, for example do a song about a popular dance group or a dancer. Artist such as Ding Dong who is also a dancer is a prime example of this. Elephant Man gained a lot of popularity doing a number of dance songs. Buju Banton is another example with his dancehall song "Bogle", which was done in the 1990s and is apart of every dj's playlist.
2. Social commentary - Artiste such as Bounty Killer, Capleton, Beenie Man, Sizzla, Anthony B, Bugle, Ninja Man and Cobra all got their break doing songs which either is liked by the government or got banned. The fact is that most of these song are actually about something which the government failed to address or help the people with. Two of the most controversial songs are: Buju Banton's - Boom Bye Bye
and Anthony B's - "Fire Pon Rome"
3. Feud With Other Artists - This is another way of getting attention in this business. But remember you have to be lyrically sharp. Ariste such as Bounty Killer, Beenie Man, Shabba Ranks, Ninja Man, Mad Cobra, Masicka and Ryme Minister are very good at this. This also allow these artists to make money from sound systems for customize dub plates.
4. Do A Mamma Song - Almost every artiste who sings a Mama song gets noticed. Songs about Mama will always stay around much longer than most other songs. For example Sizzla's 'Thank You Mama' was released on November 19th, 2002, and is still very prevalent today.
5. Get In Trouble With The Law - Don't pay your taxes and everyone will know about you. Get involved with drugs and you will definitely be getting a lot of attention coming your way.