Interesting Facts About Bob Marley You Might Not Have Known!
1. His father was a white 60-year-old plantation overseer.
2. His Mother was a black 19-year-old village girl.
3. He was bullied by his schoolmates and neighbors because of his mixed race.
4. In his teenage years, he was living in the slums of Kingston, Jamaica.
5. He grew up when Jamaica gained independence and was involved in a violent civil war, not by his choice.
6. He started a reggae band and named it The Wailers because they were ghetto sufferers.
7. He chooses music as a way of life and a tool to create social change and as a way out of poverty.
8. Bob and his band were sometimes fired because they were more popular than the headliners on tours.
9. In 1974 the Wailers was disbanded.
10. Afer recording and releasing music for 13 years, he got his first international hit single in 1975 "No Woman, No Cry".
11. In 1976, just two days before a major concert he was shot after a gunman broke into is house and attacked him. He survived. This did not stop him from performing in front of 80,000 people two days later.
12. His fight for equality transformed him into an influential cultural icon.
13. He financially supported many poor families in his homeland Jamaica.
14. In July 1977, he was found to have Malignant cancer under a toenail. But he refused to have his toe amputated because of religious belief. Cancer later spread to his brain which leads to his death four years later at the age of 36.
15. Bob Marley's final words were "Money Can't Buy Life".
16. He was buried in Jamaica with his guitar, a soccer ball, and a Marijuana bud.
Credit: Simone AnkleLEARN MORE ABOUT BOB MARLEY AND THE WAILERS HERE