Dancehall Empress Karamanti Interview with Neco of Dancehall Reggae World
(Jamaica & U.S.A)
Although not known to many dancehall and reggae music lovers in Jamaica, Dancehall artiste Karamanti is slowly craving her way into the business.
Her music is very popular in Europe,Canada and now gaining traction in Africa.
She was nominated by DIA As Best Female Solo Artist For 2013. She also just released the video for one of her latest single title "Domestic Abuse" (Watch Video here).
We decided that we need to have a one and one chat with this dancehall empress Karamanti..
See Full Interview below...
1. What's your birth name? Shelly-Ann
2. Where were you born? Kingston, Jamaica (can’t remember exactly where but it’s in Kingston)
3. How would you classified your Music, Dancehall or Reggae? Definitely dancehall even though I have Reggae songs as well
4. Who or what influenced your career choice? Initially I got into dancehall because I love it and I thought I was good at it .. now I’m doing it because I think that my presence is necessary.. Meaning I think I bring a balance to dancehall that is lacking >> a positive energy (that being said, I still love it and I’m having fun)
5. Did you get formal training? I do vocal training ..yes.. I have done classes with Pat Gooden here in Kingston.. plus I attended Mississauga Music School in Ontario, Canada and I currently take lessons with other vocal coaches as well
6. Do you wirte your own music? Yes everything that leaves my mouth is from my heart
7. If yes, where do you get your lyrical ideas to write? I pay close attention to life .. real life.. and I pull my inspiration from that.. so the suffering, the politricks, the self hatred it all inspires my writing. I also do a lot of reading.. I’m a big fan of religious studies, psychology and African history
8. Who is your mentor? Yahweh
9. Which of your songs do you love the most? I’m about to drop a song with Ghana’s #1 dancehall artist Iwan, the song is called Africa and I’m really feeling it only cause the message is soooo powerful it’s crazy.. the song comes out on Friday, January 31st
10. What is your worst experience since becoming an artist? Lol soo much worst experience.. well I think having people spread lies about me really hurt and I’ve been through that so I’ll say that’s the worst
11. Your best experience? My best experience is waking up everyday doing music.. cause I really love this.. money or no money fame or no fame I find this a lot of fun so to be able to wake up and do this every day is amazing
12. What would you change about the industry today? 1. I would ban every video that depicts women as sex objects 2. I would ban every song that demoralizes women 3. I would ban every song that degrades the black race 4. I would get rid of the noise abatement act in Jamaica
13. What advice would you give to young upcoming artists? Keep making your music and keep promoting your music.. don’t watch the hype.. stay humble and focused on the music
14. How would you describe your music to people? Positively hardcore
15. What image does your music protray? Good question, I don’t know.. Someone emailed me a couple days ago and said I’m like a motivational speaker on beats..lol
16. What are your career goals? Would love a tour in Africa.. I already did Europe would love to do Europe again but right now got my sights set on the mother land… also medzing a new album for 2014
17. How would you define the word success? Anyone doing exactly what they want to do and having complete peace as they do it.. for me that’s a successful person
18. How do you market yourself? I have one of the hardest working promo team on my side.. Maria Jackson Entertainment.. they get me my shows and get my music where it needs to go.. could have not done all this without them
19. Do you have a manager? No manager
20. If no, who handles your business? I make my own business decisions and get everything executed through MJE
21. Are you assigned to any specific label? I have my own record label it’s called Blakkwuman22 Music.. we are dropping the Sprung Riddim in a couple of weeks
22. Give five words that describe you, your style and personality. lyricist, loud, Pan-Africanist, hardcore, hardworking
23. Do you have any new material coming out soon? ye I’m dropping the combination with Iwan on Friday as I said earlier.. plus I’m on the John Blaze Riddim coming out of Kenya.. I’m on the Sprung Riddim coming from my camp, I’m on the Cold War Riddim coming out of Ghana.. I’m on the Go Riddim that’s from tech-head records & my label BW22 here in JA …plus I have loads of combination coming.. me a work lol
24. Have you ever gone on any major tour/tours?. ye man I’ve done Canada and Europe so far.. fingers crossed for Africa this year.. killing all the African riddims I get cause I’m trying to go there
25. What is the biggest festival/stage show you've performed on? mmm Rasta Fest in Toronto.. 20,000 people
26. As A Female artiste what are some of the obstacles you face in this business? Men disrespecting you
Articles On Dancehall Reggae World You Might Have Missed ......
Producers, Artists, Publicist and Managers Get your Product Out to Over 20,000 Music industry players. Our players Include Radio Stations, Sound Systems and Deejays. Click here to Contact Us For More detail.
Win a digital copy of "Welcome To Jamrock Digital CD" by answering the following question.
As a producer What's the name of the first album produced by Damian Jr Gong Marley on his Ghetto Youths International label?
Dancehall Reggae World - Dancehall and Reggae Music Remains the most popular music in Jamaica and Caribbean. From the beautiful music to the world-renowned festivals and lot more, let me take you on a…
Information posted here on Dancehall Reggae World is for Research and Educational Purposes. We do not host any files on our site. Limited copyright is granted for you to use and/or republish any story on this site for any legitimate media or Educational purpose as long as you reference dancehallreggaeworld.com. Please make sure to read our Terms and conditions prior to contacting us. If you wish to submit your own press release, click here.